It’s already week five of Healthista’s 12 week anti-ageing body plan from nutritional physiologist Rick Hay. If you’re just joining us, here’s how it works
1. Weekly instructions Every Monday for the next 12 weeks we’ll be putting up an instructional post from Rick with everything you need to do that week. It will include meal ideas and recipe tips plus snack and exercise guidelines and advice for little things you can do to keep hunger at bay and energy levels up.
2. Weekly food videos We’ll also be posting up a recipe video each week to give you guidelines on making some of the food on the plan. Don’t worry it’s all designed to be super-fast and super-easy as Rick describes himself as ‘The world’s laziest nutritionist’.
3. Weekly workout videos Each week will come with its own 5 minute workout designed for all levels and to progress in difficulty as the plan progresses (sorry, but you want results don’t you?). This is designed to be done daily – come on, it’s five minutes.
4. The Healthista with the best results will win a hamper featuring an array of health products from the plan worth over £100. Here’s the best bit. You send us your results in the comments of each post or share them with us via Twitter and Facebook – with pictures – and the Healthista with the best results walks away with an hamper of health booty including posh protein powder and super green powders.
PRINCIPLES OF THE PLAN
This easy-to-follow detailed plan targets ageing and fitness at a cellular level using nutrient dense meals and snacks.
1. Healthy proteins The first four weeks involves the consumption of healthy plant based protein, combined with low-fat fish and white meat options. A diet full of nutrient dense plant based protein has been shown to increase life expectancy while lowering the risk of today’s common diseases, such as cardiovascular problems, diabetes and obesity related illnesses.
2. Eating small and often There are three main meal choices and three snack options focusing on controlled portions on the plan. That means the meals can remain varied throughout the course but they’e designed to ensure you get to eat plenty of healthy food and never get hungry.The plan also includes healthy carbs to help with cognition and promote high energy levels.
3. Promoting digestive health The food choices in this plan also help the body achieve the correct digestive function to slow down the ageing process and assist with weight management.
4. Daily HIIT fitness A fitness regimen of 5-minute high intensity interval training (HIIT) and yoga or pilates is recommended to help increase general fitness and slow down the ageing process and features in each or our weekly workout videos on the plan. See the end of the post for an outlined fitness regimen.
5. Moving more, aiming to take 10,000 steps a day Sitting less and moving around more through your work day is one of the best things you can do to lose weight and feel younger.
Missed week 4? Read it here
Week 5 – WHAT TO DO
Half a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon to kickstart the liver and gallbladder and digestive function. This helps with fat metabolism also. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to help with cravings and mood.
VIDEO: Rick Hay shows us how to make four detox boosters hat help kickstart the liver and gallbladder
Sunwarrior Protein Shake: 1 Scoop with 250mls of Rice, Almond or Low Fat Milk and 1 serve of Sapphire Blueberry Shots blended together with 7 or 8 Almonds to increase satiety if desired. The shake is now used as a meal replacement: it is high in protein and amino acids to help keep you fuller for longer. The berry shot is added to provide Nutrient Dense Cellular Fuel which is perfect for hair, skin, nails and to help with energy levels.
Seasonal Small Fruit Salad with Nuts:
Small bowl of fruit salad topped with 5 or 6 Almonds or nuts of choice. Can be served with a dollop of non sugary organic yogurt.
The fruit and nuts are nutrient dense and help with both cognitive and immune function – the nuts provide some protein to help with fullness.
1 Apple with 6-8 Pecans
Fresh Carrot, Apple, Ginger juice: (250 mls, or bought cold pressed) This is high in phytonutrients and enzymes for anti ageing cellular health – it is immune boosting also. Ginger is a circulatory and digestive tonic. Have with a handful of Pumpkin Seeds or Walnuts to boost protein and vitamin content.
1 cup of Coffee (or Tea) if desired – this is a great time of day to maximise the fat burning quanities of caffeine. Do not sweeten with sugar or artificial sweeteners: use half a teaspoon of honey if necessary.
Before lunch and dinner, take 6 spirulina tablets or capsules can be taken as they help with feelings of fullness and control portion size – they also help to alkalise the system.
2 or 3 Egg Omelette or Scrambled Eggs with half an Avocado. Season with chilli, cayenne or black pepper.
Seafood or Tofu with Salad Greens: mix a small bowl of lightly fried Seafood or Tofu (fry slowly using cold pressed olive oil) with a cup sized portion of Asparagus, Salad Greens and Broccoli together with 3 or 4 small Tomatoes. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh cracked black pepper. The seafood and salad are nutrient dense and the vinegar and black pepper promotes fat burning – olive oil provides a good source of healthy omegas.
2 or 3 Crisp Bread with half an Avocado and black pepper
2 or 3 Prunes or a glass of Prune Juice if you prefer together with one Banana: if you’re constipated its harder to lose weight and the banana provides fiber and energy both physically and mentally. Have with 2 teaspoons of mixed Nuts and Seeds for protein to help keep you satisfied.
Small Fruit Salad Bowl with 6 Pecans or Walnuts. Use any combination of fruits, although berries are best.
Peppermint or Spearmint Tea with a little added honey to both calm and stimulate the digestion making the plan more efficient.
Small piece of Grilled White Fish, such as Haddock or Sea bass/Organic Chicken/Tofu or Quorn Meat Substitute served with a bowl of green leaves dressed with olive oil, black pepper and sea salt.
Stir Fry with Vegetables: Add 150g of lean protein – Seafood, Fish or Tofu to two cups of a Vegetable Medley of your choice. Make sure you add spices to taste which also stimulates the digestive juices and speeds up the metabolism – use soy sauce, ginger, chili and garlic.
Grilled Kebabs: Thread small chunks of Tuna, Salmon and/or Tofu and alternate with veggies such as Broccoli, Peppers and Mushrooms onto a skewer and cook as preferred and serve on a bed of lettuce. Season with spices of choice.
Cup of Herbal Tea such as a cup of unsweetened Dandelion Tea or your herbal tea of choice such as: Fennel, Fenugreek or Liquorice. Dandelion’s bitter qualities aid liver function making it good for weight loss, fluid retention, bloating and skin conditions.
Cocoa Treat: Cup or glass of 100% Cocoa with 200mls Rice or Almond milk. It can be served hot or cold and sweetened with a little honey together with a handful of nuts and dried fruits – this helps with mood and satisfies your sweet tooth. Half a teaspoon of chili powder can be added to help with fat burning.
2 squares of Dark Chocolate with 5 or 6 Almonds
Before Bed:1 cup of Herbal tea – calming varities like Chamomile, Lemon Balm or Valerian.
Fitness Plan Week 5: Fitness Plan: The daily 5-Minute Fat-Burning Challenge
As part of Rick Hay’s anti ageing fitness plan, he suggests making movement a part of your daily routine.
For the next 12 weeks we’re challenging you to:
1) Commit to do five minutes’ HIIT exercise daily. We’ll provide a different HIIT training video each week, all you have to do is give us back five minutes – and a little sweat – by doing the video each day. If you can’t do daily, try and rank up at least four times weekly.
2) Try and walk more than 10,000 steps a day. You’ll be surprised how the steps build up. Here’s a detailed how-to post to get you started walking for weight loss
This 5 minute cardio challenge includes a 3 minute high intensity program followed by a lower intensity yoga or pilates move.
Do each individual cardio exercise as many times as you can for one minute (three minutes in total), followed by the yoga/pilates move for two minutes. Repeat as often as you like, tailored to your own fitness level.
Within each movement we have included varying levels of intensity. Repeat these challenges 2 or 3 times so you continue to grow and keep your body challenged.
VIDEO: This week’s 5-minute cardio challenge video – do it daily or as often as you can this week.
Also called Star Jumps, simply jump your legs to the sides as you raise your hands in the air and back again in quick succession.
TIP: To make it harder, hold your hands at the side of your head.
Squat with Shoulder Press: (just hands or with light weights)
Start in standing position, go down to a low squat with your hands at shoulder level (arms at right angles) as you stand, press the hands straight up overhead.
Abs – Elbow to Knee (Obliques):Slow motion. Lying down, raise your lower legs to ‘tabletop’ (parallel to floor), with hands behind head. Rotate 1 elbow to the opposite knee as you stretch out the other leg. Repeat.
TIP: Keep your shoulders off the floor at all times engaging abdominals.
Pilates – Superman:
Start on all fours (hands under shoulders, knees under hips) then ‘slide’ your opposite arm and leg away from each other until parallel to floor, pause to breath, then lower.
TIP: Breath in to prepare, exhale on movement, core engaged at all times, including Pelvic floor.
HOW TO WIN THIS HEALTHISTA HAMPER! There are two ways to enter our brilliant competition to win this hamper containing an incredible array of top quality health products
1. Share this story on FB or Twitter
2. Send us pictures or stories about your progress on the plan
Our Healthista Hamper contains:
Sunwarrior Warrior Blend 500g Vanilla (£24.99)
Sunwarrior Warrior Classic Protein 500g Chocolate (£24.99)
Pukka Tea Cleanse (£2.29)
Pukka Tea Night Time (£2.29)
Knightsbridge Teas Very Berry (£3.95)
Knightsbridge Teas Peppermint (£3.95)
Sapphire Health Blueberry Shots (£29.95)
Trilogy Rose Hip Oil (£28.50)
Trilogy Cream Cleanser (£16.50)
Nuveo Body Polish (£49.99)
Nuveo Protective Cleansing Gel (£29.99)
Synergy Natural Organic SuperGreens (£15.99)
Small Bottle of Rutherford Hill Merlot 2009 (£14.99)
Total worth: £248.37